OSHA 30-Hour Construction Industry
The 30-hour Construction Outreach Training Program is intended to provide a variety of training to workers with some safety responsibility. Training should emphasize hazard identification, avoidance, control and prevention, not OSHA standards. Instructional time must be a minimum of 30 hours. The topic requirements are as follows:
Mandatory - 15 hours Introduction to OSHA - 2 hours.
- Covers workers' rights, employer responsibilities and how to file a complaint. It includes helpful worker safety and health resources. It also provides a sample weekly fatality and catastrophe report, a material data safety sheet and the OSHA Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (OSHA Form 300).
- Materials include an Instructor Guide, PowerPoint slides, student handouts, and participatory activities.
Managing Safety and Health - 2 hours. May include Injury and Illness Prevention Programs, job site inspections, accident prevention programs, management commitment and employee involvement, worksite analysis, hazard prevention and control, accident investigations, how to conduct safety meetings, and supervisory communication.
OSHA Focus Four Hazards - 6 hours. Because most construction fatalities are caused by fall hazards, falls must be covered for a minimum of one hour and 15 minutes. The other focus four hazards must be covered for a minimum of one-half hour each. A trainer may spend up to 10 hours on this topic.
- Falls (minimum one hour and 15 minutes)
- Struck-By (e.g., falling objects, trucks, cranes)
- Caught-In or Between (e.g., trench hazards, equipment)
Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment - 2 hours
Health Hazards in Construction - 2 hours. May teach noise, hazard communication, and crystalline silica or any other construction health hazard.
Stairways and Ladders - 1 hour.
Elective - 12 hours. Must present at least 12 hours of training on the following topics. At least 6 of the following topics must be presented. The minimum length of any topic is one-half hour.
- Concrete and Masonry Construction
- Confined Space Entry
- Cranes, Derricks, Hoists, Elevators, & Conveyors
- Fire Protection and Prevention
- Materials Handling, Storage, Use and Disposal
- Motor Vehicles, Mechanized Equipment and Marine Operations; Rollover Protective Structures
- Safety and Health Programs
- Steel Erection
- Tools - Hand and Power
or elective topics. The minimum length of any topic is one-half hour.