OSHA 10-Hour Construction Industry
This training program is intended to provide entry level construction workers information about their rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint as well as how to identify, abate, avoid and prevent job related hazards on a construction site. The training covers a variety of construction safety and health hazards which a worker may encounter at a construction site. Training should emphasize hazard identification, avoidance, control and prevention, not OSHA standards.
Mandatory - 7 hours
Introduction to OSHA - 2 hours.
- Covers workers' rights, employer responsibilities and how to file a complaint. It includes helpful worker safety and health resources. It also provides a sample weekly fatality and catastrophe report, a material data safety sheet and the OSHA Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (OSHA Form 300).
- Materials include an Instructor Guide, PowerPoint slides, student handouts, and participatory activities.
OSHA Focus Four Hazards - 4 hours. Because most construction fatalities are caused by fall hazards, falls must be covered for a minimum of one hour and 15 minutes. The other Focus Four Hazards must be covered for a minimum of one-half hour each.
- Falls (minimum 1 hour and 15 minutes)
- Struck-By (e.g., falling objects, trucks, cranes)
- Caught-In or Between (e.g., trench hazards, equipment)
Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment - 30 minutes.
Health Hazards in Construction - 30 minutes. May teach noise, hazard communication, and crystalline silica or any other construction health hazard.
Elective - 2 hours. Must present at least two hours of training on the following topics. At least two topics must be presented. The minimum length of any topic is one-half hour.
- Cranes, Derricks, Hoists, Elevators, & Conveyors
- Materials Handling, Storage, Use and Disposal
- Stairways and Ladders
- Tools - Hand and Power
Optional - 1 hour. Teach other construction industry hazards or policies and/or expand on the mandatory or elective topics. The minimum length of any topic is one-half hour.